Allergy Friendly French Silk Pie = A.mazing
Hi. I’m about to be your favorite person, like ever.
I was scrambling to find an easy, decadent, allergy-friendly dessert for Easter. The allergies I was trying to cover included corn, wheat, dairy, eggs, orange, and yeast. This seemed an impossible task to meet my criteria (easy, decadent, allergy-friendly) since I might hit 1 or 2, but never all three… that is until the Macaroon French Silk Pie entered my life.
I found it flipping through last year’s Living Without Magazine. The recipe seemed to meet everything I needed! The crust does have eggs in the macaroons, but to accomodate I poured some of the chocolate mixture into a single ramekin for my niece who needed it egg-free.
It seriously turned out GREAT and is one of the richest, tastiest allergy-friendly desserts I’ve tried. And I’ve tried more than my fair share. *ahem*
The recipe is as follows, in case you want to try it out yourself. It is so easy, you should try making it at least once! It is a also a Passover-friendly dish, so I will leave those details in for those of you who celebrate.
Macaroon French Silk Pie
- Preparation: 25 minutes + Chilling Time
- Serves: 8
Garnish pie with a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream and sliced strawberries. If you’re not observing Passover, use any gluten-free macaroons for the crust.
- 1 cup coconut milk (not low fat) or Kosher for Passover dairy-free creamer
- 1 lb Kosher for Passover plain macaroons (about 4 cups), crumbled
- 10 oz Kosher for Passover dark chocolate chips or dark chocolate, chopped
~Whipped Coconut Milk or dairy-free whipped topping & Fresh Strawberries, sliced, optional
Lightly grease a 9-inch round tart pan. (We just used a disposable cake pan and it worked great… ’cause we’re fancy like that.)
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil.
- Place chocolate pieces in a medium-size, heat-proof bowl. Pour hot coconut milk over the chocolate. Whisk until smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Press macaroon crumbs into and up the sides of a prepared pan. Set on baking sheet for easier handling. Pour chocolate mixture into crust. Refrigerate until filling firms, about 30-60 minutes or overnight. Top with dairy-free whipped topping and sliced strawberries or crumbled macaroons. Cut into slices and serve.
Each serving contains 456 calories, 38g total fat, 17g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 12 mg sodium, 43g carbohydrates, 6g fiber, 7g protein
Did you catch that? It can help with your fiber intake!!